Wednesday, January 24

Hearts of America - North Carolina

Well, I'm one step closer to the state bellpull I want to make - I've finished North Carolina!

This heart features a cardinal, dogwood, and a strawberry (the official red berry of NC)


I always liked The Victoria Sampler's little kits for teaching new stitches.  If there was something particularly difficult for me *coughbullioncough* I'd work on one of these kits.   When I saw the state hearts, I just loved them and got the three states I'd lived in at the time.  I recently purchased the charts (I think it's a 5 part series, let's hope I don't need another one!) to get NC, the latest state, since I can't find any kits anywhere.

I made two small changes:
1.  I stitched this using PB03 instead of the called upon Kreinik.  I just like PTB better
2.  I added little seed stitches to the strawberry, they're not super obvious, but I think it makes it look a little less like a cherry.  I thought about french knots, but I thought they might be too big.

Cardinal with a couple of specialty stitch bands

I'm very pleased with these dogwood flowers

Leviathan stitch was the feature specialty band for this piece

The strawberry I added little seeds to...
So there's another finish for the books;  two down for the Year of WIPs and almost down for WIPocalypse (the band is my final goal)

This week/weekend I'm going to a gaming convention, so I hope I'll have a fun report of the games I'll be playing then.  I'm looking forward to it - well, that, and a bit less snow as what we got this past week melts away!

8 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful. It would be fun to do all the states I've traveled to but I think that would be like 23 of the 50 so I better not start that haha. I just love your finished piece though. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I thought about doing the states I've visited, but then I'd run out of time, I think :) I've been to a lot (especially with the moving between them), and I don't know how I'd finish them :D

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous finish! I missed out on the Cdn provinces for this, as they seem to be out of print, glad you're stitching what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And of course, I thought "What? Those should totally be available!" but alas, I hope they reprint them like they did the states! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh how gorgeous this finish is! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely little finish :) I am curious, though, there is an official red berry of North Carolina? Do all the states have one? Are there even that many different berries? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all started as something some students asked of the NCGA in 2001. They wanted the Strawberry to be the official state fruit. Long story short: After much kvetching, in "fighting" and discussion, the Scuppernong Grape is the official state fruit of NC, though the Strawberry is the official red berry and the Blueberry is the official state blue berry :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any kind of comment or question I love and will answer comments, and if you're new to me I'll stalk you over to your blog and add it to my feed!