And if I recall correctly, I really did enjoy stitching her. There are a lot of silks involved, and more than a few beads, and it was just fun.
A lot of the time I was stitching her, I had Kill the Wabbit running through my head, keeping myself pretty entertained.
The border was stitched in Waterlilies, if I recall correctly, with kreinik back stitching, and was very pleasant to stitch on that 32ct Platinum Linen (not the kreiniks... never the kreiniks!).
The Valkyrie horns on her shoom cap kept cracking me up. I loved the spear and the shield. I love the gill ruffles around her neck. Seriously, the detail on this is just too fun.
A close up of some of the silks and backstitched kreinik. I do remember not being very enthused about all of that backstitching with metallics. But it was too pretty to not incorporate.
Confession: I did not realize that she was wearing armor/a breastplate at first. To be honest, at first glance I thought her bosom was actually paws. I had a few people laugh at me pretty well over that, but I still don't feel all that embarrassed about it.
The beads! So cute. I liked how the beads accented this piece, but did not overwhelm it. Sometimes they can do that, but this was just right - from the ridges in her stalk to the swirl in the background. It does go very well with the piece overall.
Hrm. I think I know what piece I'd like to have framed next now.
She was finished on June 21, 2002. I know I picked her up at a stitching show, though I can't remember which one. I know I didn't stitch on her there, but in my favorite apartment where I lived in Houston. She was pretty quick, lots of fun, and I still adore her.