Tuesday, July 28

Future's Vision - framed! And a tale of framers.

So first off, I got Future's Vision framed.  It's one of my favorite pieces and it's already up on the wall in the lady cave.   I decided to test out a new framer (more about that later), but here it is...

I totally forgot the non-glare glass, so I had to go with extreme angles because there's a nice big window with a lot of light that was reflecting all over the place.  The mats are the colors from the sky and the star, and the frame has a lot of red which brings out the colors in the bricks.



I definitely loved this frame for this piece.


When we were trying out the colors of the mats, I told the framer that I wanted it over the edge of the design, up to the backstitched outline to the whole frame of the piece.  He said he didn't recommend it, and we looked at mats with more space around the piece, and then he framed it up to the edge anyway.  Which.  Ok, I think the yellow should have been a little brighter then, but whatever, I'm still OK with the color.


I'm mostly happy with it.
And this guy advertised on his website that he frames needlework, and when I was chatting with him, apparently it had been his proverbial bread and butter through the 80s and 90s, tapering off in the last 10 years or so.  So he obviously must know what he's doing right?

Which is why it kinda caught me by surprise to find out that he did most of the pieces dry-mounted.

Wait.  What?  I even asked him about lacing/pinning, etc.  No, he dry-mounts small pieces and tapes larger ones.

So I'll never be back there.

Since Nick (the guy that I had frame my other pieces last year) is retiring/has retired, I figured I'd look into local framers.   This guy, well, he was someone I found while googling, specifically looking for needlework framers, and when a Groupon showed up for his shop, I figured it would be a good time to go ahead and try him out.   So at least I got it at a "discount", but I still think he was pricey for what I got.

I have used two other framers in the area, but not for my needlework.  I have plenty of smaller pieces to try out, and they did a great job with some of my other stuff, but now I'll have to put them to the cross-stitch test.

I've heard several stitchers (online) use one of the local framers.  They're a small chain (SC, NC, VA, I think?) and I've liked the several things of mine they've framed.   They've done two small prints and the photo of my grandparents' wedding.  They were even nice enough to use the original mat that the photo came with:



The other framer is a guy that owns a franchise?  He's really nice, and he's actually an artist, so he's really good with color while letting me express my own ideas if I have something I really want.   He's done two prints (one of them several feet long), and my other grandparents' wedding photo (the original tinted). 


He is REALLY good at preservation work (old letters, photos - he's shown me the stuff he's done), so I kinda want to take my stitching to him, wholesale, but I have to test run him.  I'm sure he'd be more amenable to actually learning the correct way to frame needlework since he's an actual artist.  But, the downside is that he's expensive.  

So, yay for getting something framed.   Boo for having something not framed well (boo to myself for not asking better questions first).  I'm not going to take it apart, it's not like it was the best piece in the world and I doubt it's going to become any sort of heirloom anyway.  I'm happy enough with it for me (I still have a couple of early things framed on sticky mat).

Soon I'll have something test run at the Expensive-but-I-love-him framer.  Maybe even my Immaculate Hart.

Too bad the French Knot is out of business, I really liked the framing they did for me.  They closed before I had a chance to take any needlework to them...

framed by The French Knot


14 comments:

  1. I take mine to a local framer here in Montreal. They specialize in framing art for museums and they're not that expensive if you compare them to other places. I've taken two pieces to them so far and am happy with the results, but I can't say for sure how they frame them (i.e. laced or taped) I should really ask that question next time I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that "expensive" is so relative. I see what some people call "reasonable" and it makes my heart skip. I wonder if pinning/prepping the piece myself will save me headache (and $$, but mostly the headache of knowing it was done in a way that makes me happy).

      Delete
  2. I've never gone to a framer but that piece looks great :). Good luck finding someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to find/try and framers here, but since needlework isn't that popular around, I doubt I'll have much luck...Good luck to you finding someone new, at least you seem to have a few viable options! And Future's Vision does look great, even if it's not your prefered way of framing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know some stitchers in the area, but with no LNSs, I don't think it's terribly popular here either. I'm hoping that at least my favorite guy will work with me, as he's pretty receptive. I'll still keep taking my antiques to him, and I have already warned him that I'd be doing a test run with him and framing in the future.

      I like that Jill Rensel has posted *how* she does some of her framing, which might make good reference for him if he doesn't know much about needlework/textiles.

      And Thanks! I love having Future's Vision hanging in the LadyCave ;)

      Delete
  4. Good luck finding a good framer, the piece looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pieces look great.

    I do miss my framer in the UK, she was great, with really good prices (as in, I don't think anything I had done cost more than £50).

    Don't discount the big box stores - because occasionally you can find a single employee who can frame needlework. We have one here that you have to ask for by name and only talk to them, no one else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, the only big box store near me is Michaels, and after having a painting framed by them, I'm never going back there for framing. I even tried to see if I could get the glass and mats cut by them (I don't like doing the mats from online companies because of screen color issues) and they wouldn't let me, so I was out of that one. Plus I've found them to be no less expensive than "regular" framers.

      Delete
    2. Or rather - no less expensive after their 40/50/60% off coupons. I can't imagine paying their prices without a coupon, they're outrageous (to make the discounted frame job still profitable).

      Delete
  6. The frame itself is a lovely choice and it looks fine. As you say, it's not an heirloom piece.
    12 years ago I used to pay £70 to have a large piece framed when I worked in the city. Ben was an amazing framer and all his stuff was museum quality.
    Now I use a framer in my small town who charges between £35-50 for a similar size and quality. She has a great eye for colour too and always chooses my mats for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky to have a good framer!

      Delete
  7. I'm still scared to take my things to a framer...but I will have to give in soon enough....I'm happy to see you are finding decent framers locally!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any kind of comment or question I love and will answer comments, and if you're new to me I'll stalk you over to your blog and add it to my feed!