Friday, February 13

First Happy Dance of 2015 & Turtle Trot!

I was home yesterday recovering from a migraine and spent some time stitching when I thought my eyes could handle it.   I've been furiously working away on my Fish because it's been a load of fun to stitch.

And my first finish for Turtle Trot, too!

I really enjoyed the whipped backstitch (the prop, flag, zig zag gear, stripes on the jaw, hose are all whipped backstitch) until I backstitched the 2nd thing (hose) and then got "over it," but wasn't even close to being done! I do like the effect, though.

Even though I probably could have gotten away with subbing some DMCs (not all of the overdyeds had a lot of variegation), I adored using the threads and colors called for.

I first saw this pattern on Tracey Horner's blog, when she posted about the St. Charles market releases and just fell in love with it.  I waited until I needed something else (fibres, most like) and ordered it with the button pack.

I went to In Stitches in Alexandria to floss toss on fabrics to pick something (I was initially thinking PTP's "Ancient"), and I ended up with Shale.  I have to admit to not being totally thrilled with Shale, but it's hard for me to point out in these pictures, because I can't seem to get my camera to show how purple the fabric really is... but I don't hate it either, so there's that.  I was going for the "murky water/smoky air" effect, because I feel like this is a critter not for crystal clear waters or skies.  Maybe a good matting will make me like it better.  Or maybe I'll just let it live in my new portfolio albums.

But overall, I just love it.

I might add more photos later, in other lighting (not that I ever see the sun by the time I get home), and please, don't mind the Mona hair "specialty fibers" littering the surface - I'll hit it with a lint brush and a good washing this weekend.


On my screen, this pic is more color correct, though I like the previous one better for showing off the fabric.
The lower lip is the only thing I had to frog, so much fun!
I lurves the lightbulb
Body gear button detail

That hose convinced me that I hate whipped back/long stitching
The rear fin was probably the most fun.
And that deceitful flagpole made me think I liked whipped back/long stitching.
Normally, I'm not a fan of SamSarah designs, but I definitely adored this one and would love to do any more steampunk critters they might put out.   It is rather wacky fun.

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous wacky fun! The fabric looks perfect to me, as does your stitching. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny, positive comments towards the fabric help sway me. I will beat down my inner critic with peer pressure! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the different colors in this piece. Kind of a crazy looking fish though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy! I really want to see a Steampunk mammal or snake of some kind ;)

      Delete
  3. Great finish!! And the fabric seems to fit the piece well. Maybe the right mat will make you happier with it, something that will tone down the purple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely correct, something that plays down the red/pink/purple influence should work well :)

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the Happy Dance. This is a very unusual piece, I really like it and would love to see them do some more in the same style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try some "positive reinforcement" to see if I can nudge that along. I keep thinking of so many different fun animals in my head. I wish I were more artistic :)

      Delete
  6. Such a funky fish. And yet so interesting and cool at the same time. I really rather like how he turned out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome fun funky fish :) I really want more animals like this. I can hope!

      Delete
  7. What great pattern! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fast and fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the finish, he looks absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love! That whipped backstitch is really neat looking. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I had not. It does look great, but it did eventually get tedious (just like regular backstitching, haha!). If it didn't look so good, I would have given up.

      Delete
  11. Great finish!! I've been playing a bit too much Monster Hunter lately and my first thought was Hey! a Gobul! and curse my lack of c-stick. :b I think that rear propeller is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I haven't played Monster Hunter, but had to look up Gobul. Love it!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope they design more in this style!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any kind of comment or question I love and will answer comments, and if you're new to me I'll stalk you over to your blog and add it to my feed!