Thursday, March 12

Throwback Thursday - Blackwork dragon

This week's Throwback Thursday is brought to you courtesy of Jennifer Aikman-Smith and DragonDreams designs.   I've had the privilege to meet Jennifer a couple of times and I can confirm that she's pretty freakin' awesome.

If I recall correctly (and I probably don't), this was the first of the blackwork pieces that she designed.  There were three four in all - a dragon, a unicorn, a princess, and apparently a knight I missed ;).   I had never stitched a large blackwork piece, and I really wanted to try it out.    I also decided to use a darker, more jeweltoned variegated thread for it - a Caron Wildflowers called plum.   It was stitched on a 28 antique white linen (I'm starting to think a majority of my pieces were stitched on an antique white linen) and it took me one month.   I started on December 1, 2002, and finished on December 31, 2002.  Woot!





I really would like to get this one framed, but it's a bit lower in the priority from some of my other pieces.  It was great to learn to work blackwork and I really enjoyed this piece quite a bit.

DragonDreams is still in existence and available wholesale (or at least a good number of the designs are), so getting some of the designs is still possible, though no new big designs have been released in some while.      JAS does offer freebies on FB, so it's still possible to get my hands on cute little ones that she's still designing.

3 comments:

  1. There are now 4 blackwork designs. She released a blackwork design of a knight at Creative Festival 2013. I bought it when I took one of her other classes. I will have to remember your idea of using a variegated thread. I love the effect it gives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize she'd done a fourth - I knew she's slowed down/semi-retired from designing to focus on other pursuits (damn you, copyright infringers!), so it's good to know something else has come out "recently!"

      Delete
  2. I have yet to try blackworking, but that dragon does look awesome - I love the colors, very dragon-y!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any kind of comment or question I love and will answer comments, and if you're new to me I'll stalk you over to your blog and add it to my feed!