Thursday, February 19

Throwback Thursday - Water Dragon

This particular post isn't quite as much of a throwback as the last one.   I actually finished Water Dragon a few years ago - in March of 2011 - but started it when I was in college in the 90s.   It's an older kit from Janlynn, but still pretty widely available.   I remember walking through Michaels and seeing this kit and buying it right away.

I thought it would be a fast and easy stitch (and it would have been), but it's on aida,which I don't like stitching on, and I found the lack of extra width in the fabric rather annoying.   I actually put it away for several years with a needle still in it, and the needle rusted (!).    It's in an unstitched area in the design that actually shows, so when I saw that, I got annoyed with it and put it away for a while longer.  In the finished piece, you can see the faint spots above the trees on the left.

Finally, a few years ago, I got disgusted with myself for not finishing it (even though this is admittedly not quite my style any more) and went ahead and knocked it out.   So it's finished and sitting in an album.   I can still clearly see the two rust spots, and I've heard that I can use a couple of cleaners safely on cross stitch (this is all DMC and aida, so not something I'm terribly worried about), so it's just a matter of actually doing it if I ever want to finish or frame this piece.

Water Dragon by Janlynn:

Started in 1996 or 1997, Finished March 19, 2011

And here's a fun little progression album:
Water Dragon by Janlynn


8 comments:

  1. I've seen this dragon in magazine adverts from that time but never actually stitched up. Why was everything done on aida back then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most likely because it was cheaper. I wish they weren't so stingy with the margins, either. I had a little over an inch on each side when it was all said and done.

      Delete
  2. It is a very nice looking piece if you like dragons and you did a lovely job. I have made the same mistake and gotten rust stains on a piece but was fortunate that it was an area that was stitched over. You can always have it framed and give it to the charity of your choice to auction at a fund raiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the complement :) And the charity idea is a good one. I will have to keep that in mind for the future. I know I get requests periodically from different fundraisers, and it might be fun.
      For now, I kind of enjoy remembering the different times when I was stitching on the piece and what was going on in my life, instead of a visual photograph, it's like a piece of feelings.

      Delete
  3. Good think you managed to finish it after all the hiccups, it really looks great - I especially like the way the castle is shaded :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the castle is my favorite part of the design, too. It was definitely the most rewarding part.

      Delete
  4. A stunning piece. I love it! I think you should clean and frame it, and be proud of finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might, but right now it is in an album, so I still get to show it off/look at it :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any kind of comment or question I love and will answer comments, and if you're new to me I'll stalk you over to your blog and add it to my feed!